Call Now! 909.538.8320

FREE LEGAL ADVICE BLOG - Keeping the public informed

Adjustment of Status

Posted by Arturo Angel. Burga | Sep 30, 2019 | 0 Comments


If you are a US Citizens or a Green Card holder, you can sponsor your Immediate Family member and help them obtain Legal Permanent Residency through a process called Adjustment of Status.

Who can adjust their status?

To adjust status to Legal Permanent Residency, you must first qualify under three different categories:

  1. You have a valid legal entry to the United States

  2. You are the beneficiary of family or employment petition filed before April 30, 2001 (INA 245(i))

  3. You were “waived in” at the point of entry (Quilantan)

Once you determine which category applies to you, the next step is to determine if you are admissible. The Immigration and Nationality Act describes which types of applicants.

Burga Law Firm PC will provide you with full support to your dependents involved in the Immigration process. We prepare you for your interview so that day can go as smoothly as possible.

How long does the Adjustment of Status process through USCIS take?

The adjustment of status process can take anywhere from 8 to 10 months. However, in some cases, we have been able to get cases completed in 3 months. This, of course, is out of our control, but rest assured that we'll keep you informed.

Can I travel outside of the country before my Adjustment of Status interview?

We recommend that you let us know in advance that you may need to travel. If you travel without asking for permission from USCIS, your application will be abandoned, and you may have to start over again or not be able to return. We will include in your application packet a form called Advance Parole, which allows you to travel outside of the United States and come back for your interview.

What if I need to work before my interview for Adjustment of Status?

If you need to start working, you must first wait for your Employment Authorization or Work Permit, which will arrive before your interview. The fees that you paid to DHS for your application include your Work Permit fees.

If you have any more questions about the Adjustment of Status process and to see if you qualify, give us a call! 909 660 7675.


About the Author

Arturo Angel. Burga

FOUNDER Arturo Angel Burga Mr. Burga began his solo practice in 2011. Since then he has grown to become a top-rated lawyer in his field. He was ranked as a Top Lawyer by Inland Empire Magazine and most recently was an invited as a speaker at the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) A...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment


Burga Law Firm is committed to answering your questions about immigration, criminal defense, and personal injury law issues in southern California.

We'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.