A DUI conviction in California can negatively impact your life in a number of ways. However, this is especially true for a felony DUI conviction. You can be charged with a felony DUI in California under the following circumstances:
- You were driving under the influence and injured or killed one or more people. This also includes passengers in your vehicle.
- You have a previous felony DUI conviction in California.
- You have been convicted of four DUIs within the last ten years.
The criminal consequences of a felony DUI can vary depending on the circumstances. Generally, you will face a period of incarceration and parole upon release. The life consequences of a felony DUI conviction are also devastating. If you are convicted with a felony DUI, then you might face limitations that include:
- Greater difficulty finding a job: Employers are less likely to hire jobseekers with felonies on their records. Some types of employers may refuse to hire someone with a felony. If you do not disclose a felony conviction to an employer and they find out, then you could be fired.
- Revocation or suspension of professional licenses: Depending on the circumstances, you could have your professional license revoked or suspended. You may also have greater difficulty obtaining a professional license.
- Becoming ineligible for military service: You cannot serve in the armed forces unless you receive a waiver.
- Becoming ineligible own a firearm: You could become ineligible to own a firearm if you are convicted of a felony in California.
- Great difficulty finding housing: Some apartment complexes may not allow tenants with felony convictions to sign leases.
Do I Need an Attorney After Being Arrested for a Felony DUI in California?
The examples discussed above are not an exhaustive list of the possible life consequences that you could experience after being convicted of a felony DUI. It is extremely important to hire a criminal defense attorney after being arrested for a felony charge. Being placed under arrest does not mean you are automatically guilty. In some cases, an attorney may be able to reduce or even dismiss your charges.
Rancho Cucamonga DUI defense attorney Arturo Angel Burga has more than a decade of experience defending drivers. In 2012, he was named among the best lawyers by Inland Empire Magazine. If you are being charged with a misdemeanor or felony DUI in California, then Burga Law Firm wants to help protect your future. Reach out to us today for a free case evaluation.