Call Now! 909.538.8320

FREE LEGAL ADVICE BLOG - Keeping the public informed

3 Things To Know Before Applying for a Green Card Through Marriage

Posted by Arturo Angel. Burga | Sep 20, 2021 | 0 Comments

If you are an immigrant in the US and happen to meet someone who is a US citizen, fall in love, and get married, you may already have your next step planned: getting a green card. 

Why? Because, as an immigrant, you will have to think about your immigration status at some point. Your spouse is a US citizen, so acquiring a green card is all the more important for you. You want to build a life together, and you don't want the US immigration law to get in your way. 

If you choose to work with an immigration attorney in Ontario, CA, you will have fewer things to worry about, as your attorney will make the job easier for you. But if you are applying for a green card on your own, it would be helpful to know a few things about getting a green card through marriage.

Here are the things you should know about getting a green card through marriage:

Your entry to the US

If you arrived in the US through a valid visa and happen to marry a US citizen, you can apply for a green card without leaving the country. This process involves the filing of Form I-485 with USCIS and is called “adjustment of status.”

However, if you happen to enter the United States illegally, referred to as “entry without inspection” or “EWI,” you may not be able to get a green card. But you may be able to apply for an immigrant visa. You will most likely need legal help from a lawyer in such a case. Make sure you contact a knowledgeable immigration attorney in Ontario, CA, to help you with this process.

Living with the spouse

To get a green card through marriage, you will be required to give the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) your address history of 5 years on Form G-325A. The immigration officers will evaluate the validity of your marriage/relationship using the information you provide. 

Two things can make the immigration officers doubt your relationship with your spouse. These are:

  • You don't currently live with your spouse
  • You moved in together just recently

Sharing a bank account with your spouse

If you have married a US citizen and are applying for a green card, the USCIS expects to see proof of the “bona fides” of your relationship through joint financial documentation, such as bank accounts, insurance, and joint credit cards. 

If the USCIS finds that you don't share your financial responsibilities and risks together as husband and wife, they may have a reason to raise questions about whether your marriage relationship is genuine.

Contact Burga Law Firm For Green Card Application

At Burga Law Firm, our experienced lawyers will handhold you through the entire application process and ensure your best chances of success. If you have trouble applying for a green card for any reason, we would be happy to help you with it. 

About the Author

Arturo Angel. Burga

FOUNDER Arturo Angel Burga Mr. Burga began his solo practice in 2011. Since then he has grown to become a top-rated lawyer in his field. He was ranked as a Top Lawyer by Inland Empire Magazine and most recently was an invited as a speaker at the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) A...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment


Burga Law Firm is committed to answering your questions about immigration, criminal defense, and personal injury law issues in southern California.

We'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.