Questions About California Immigration Laws?

Our Immigration Attorney Helps People Living In or Moving to the U.S.

Today, immigration laws are being hotly debated and the question of procedures for entering the U.S. is at the forefront of political debate. However, outside of lawmakers’ offices, thousands of people face the practical concerns of immigration. If you are relocating to the U.S. or already live here and hope to become a citizen, then you may have questions about the complex immigration procedure. You may worry how criminal changes or other unique circumstances will affect your chances of approval. Alternatively, you may have concerns about helping a spouse or family member immigrate to the United States. At Burga Law Firm PC, we focus on these stories and answering these real-world concerns for our clients. If you have a question or immigration issue of any kind, then a Rancho Cucamonga immigration attorney from our firm can help.

For attorney Arturo Angel Burga, founder of Burga Law Firm PC, immigration law is personal and close to his heart. He is an immigrant himself, so he fully understands the challenges and hurdles that many immigrants face. Since arriving in the U.S. at the age of 13, he has witnessed the struggles of those who wish to become citizens, but are unable to do so. Now, as an immigration attorney in Rancho Cucamonga, he works to help families stay together, avoid deportation and/or achieve citizenship. At Burga Law Firm PC, our attorneys represent clients at Los Angeles Immigration Court, Adelanto Immigration Court and nationwide.

How Can a California Immigration Attorney Help Me?

Immigration is a complicated process, whether you are seeking a green card, work visa or full citizenship. Additionally, your future or the future of your loved one may depend on this procedure. Therefore, rather than risk an error or ignoring your status, you should always contact an immigration attorney who can answer your questions and help you accomplish your goals. At Burga Law Firm PC, our lawyers have experience with immigration issues such as:

  • Deportation or removal defense. If you receive a Notice to Appear or a family member is arrested by ICE, then contact an immigration attorney immediately. A lawyer can take steps to defend you and/or a loved one against deportation or slow the removal process so you can take further action.
  • Green cards. A lawyer can help you obtain lawful permanent residence status (AKA green card status) through consular processing. This allows you to live and work in the U.S. for up to 10 years, before renewal (two years for conditional residents).
  • Adjustment of status. If you live in the United States but do not have a green card, then you may be able to apply for permanent residence status.
  • Naturalization. If you have a green card, then you can apply to become a full U.S. citizen. An immigration attorney can represent you at your interview and prepare you for other notoriously complex steps.
  • Family immigration. An attorney can help you sponsor a non-resident family member through the immigration process, if you are a lawful permanent resident or citizen already.
  • Employment immigration. An employer can assist an employee’s immigration to the U.S., though you should always consult a lawyer as well.
  • Immigration for crime and trafficking victims. Our attorneys can assist crime and trafficking victims in obtaining T or U visas, which are reserved for special circumstances.

What Are California’s Immigration Laws?

Immigration law is a detailed and often tangled subject, especially today, when so many changes are taking place on a state and federal level. For the most current information about immigration laws, contact our law firm directly. However, California has emerged as one of the most progressive states for offering immigration protections and rights to undocumented immigrants. Relevant state and federal laws include:

  • California Values Act. Passed in September of 2017, this set of amendments prohibits the use of any state resources to assist federal government agencies in carrying out mass deportations. State and local law enforcement will also not participate in immigration enforcement, except in special circumstances. This bill makes California a “sanctuary state,” although it does not bar ICE and other federal agencies from using their own resources to detain and deport undocumented immigrants.
  • E-Verify Limitations. California law restricts the use of the E-Verify system, which allows employers to check an applicant’s immigration status within minutes.
  • Driver’s License and ID. In California, you must verify your date of birth and legal immigration status to obtain a license.
  • Public Benefits and Services. Undocumented immigrants are ineligible for public benefits like Social Security disability. However, everyone may benefit from emergency services, medical care and programs that protect life and safety, regardless of immigration status.
  • California Dream Act. Although the federal DREAM Act did not become law, California enacted its own version of this law. It allows eligible students to apply for state-funded college aid, regardless of immigration status.

Although the federal Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program ended in 2017, an immigration attorney may be able to help you explore alternatives to defer deportation. Additionally, if you are a DACA recipient, then our firm may be able to advise you of your options once your documents expire.

Need Immigration Help? Call Our Rancho Cucamonga Immigration Attorney

If you need assistance with an immigration issue in Southern California, then contact our Rancho Cucamonga law firm today. Initial consultations are free and confidential, so that you can get the legal advice you need. We can advise you on your options for adjustment of status, helping family members immigrate and more. If you have concerns as an undocumented resident of California, then we can assist you as well.

Call (909) 321-9188 or contact us online today to set us a free, confidential consultation.